Tuesday, March 27, 2007

My Blog is More Modern than Yours

Videos! I finally figured out how to upload my camera videos onto Youtube. It's actually quite simple. They do something to the image quality that's a nuisance, though.

First clip was taken at the Grampians National Park, which is this mountain range I stayed at for three days with my Introduction to Australian Society class. I've uploaded the pictures from the trip but didn't blog it. Anyway, these were some rowdy Kangaroos nearby our camp.



Not that we didn't spend the extended weekend broadening our horizons and learning, but those situations just aren't as entertaining. One afternoon we tried out the overgrown swing set by the camp, and I screamed like a girl, again.



CRUDE HUMOR ALERT (Fair warning): Next, a boating trip on the Yarra river as part of Marine Biology class. (Nothing like Cornell classes! But we were taking water samples every twenty minutes. Torture!) This video features a little crude humor as a classmate shows me a new way to use my middle finger while our professor knocks the boat out of gear. I think he knew I was filming. I apologize for my laugh.



These other videos are from the FINA diving competition I went to last weekend. This was part of an international swimming competition hosted in Melbourne. There was distance swimming (25km on St. Kilda beach, where I've swam a few times before), probably lap swimming, water polo, diving, maybe other events. This first clip is of US diver K. Bryant on the 3m springboard. Unfortunately, she was one of only two Americans female divers to make it to the semifinals (18 divers). None of the American men made it that far. Scored by 7 judges on a score of 0 (worst) to 10 (best).



The Chinese divers beat the competition for both sexes. Here are a couple.





It was undoubtedly more entertaining watching the men dive, because they used 10m platforms instead of the 3m springboards. Pretty difficult though, and this guy's timing is just slightly off when he enters the water. He got mostly 4s, as I remember.



As if a 10m platform isn't intimidating enough, the guys also had to dive out of a handstand for at least one of their six dives. I would have been dribbling out my speedo.



And that's all for now! More fun stuff later.

No comments: